The Order of St John is a royal order of chivalry of the British Crown. Previously styled as the Order of St John “in the British Realm”, the Order and its foundations were spread throughout the British Empire.
The patron of St John in Malta was therefore the Governor, as the Crown’s direct representative to the Island, and later the Governor-General. Malta adopted a republican constitution in 1974, and thereafter, the Governor-General’s successor accepted to retain the patronage of St John Ambulance in Malta.
Patron St John Association – Malta
Her Excellency, Marie Louise Coleiro Preca, KUOM, President of Malta
The Council is the governing body of the St John Association.
Dr Michael Frendo K.O.M., LL.M. (Exon.), LL.D. (Melit.)
Col. Mark Mallia A.F.M. MBA (Melit.), Dip. Mangt. (Melit.)
Mr Lawrence Grech M.O.M.
Mr Andrew Pizzuto, DipCII, O.St.J.
The Reverend Canon Simon Godfrey T.D., V.R., C.St.J., SSC
Mr Franco J. Piccinino C.ST.J.
Chief Executive Officer
H.E. Dr. Jaime H. Cremona K.St.J., M.D., F.I.C.S., F.A.C.S., F.A.C.O.G
Director of Training
Mrs Gemma Sirol, D.St.J.
Commissioner St John Ambulance First Aid & Nursing
Mr Andrew Grech, BSc., MBA (Melit.), O.St.J.
Commissioner St John Rescue Corps
Chev. Raymond Cassar BA(Hons), MA, M.Ed. (Manchester), Cert.IPD (Lon), Dip.NLP (Lon) KCHS, O.St.J.
Capt. Reuben Lanfranco
OLJ, KJ, BA(Crim), M Jur.(Int. Law), LL M (IMLI), Dip. Mar. Sur., AFRINA,
FIFireE, MCILT, AFRIN, FNI, FIIMS, MIM, AFM (Retd), C.St.J.
The St. John Council is the Governing Body of St John Ambulance – Malta. The objectives of the Council are:
- To promote and encourage the work of St John Ambulance in all its aspects.
- To promote, encourage and co-ordinate contacts between the Council and the Order of St John and to co-operate and maintain good relations with kindred organizations or Statutory Bodies.
- To appoint Representatives to attend any meetings, congress or conventions, or to serve on any Committee, in any matter, which may be related to the work of St John Ambulance.
- To raise funds, to enable the Council to be self supporting and to ensure that separate accounts are kept by the Council, by the St John Ambulance, by the Association and by the Brigade, in a proper manner and that these accounts are audited each year.
- To support and assist the activities of the St John Ambulance.
- To encourage training among the general public in various subjects for which the Association issues Certificates.
- To encourage Certificate holders to join the Brigade.
- To encourage and promote all works of humanity and charity, for the relief of distress, suffering, sickness and danger without any distinction as to race, class, colour or creed, and the extension of the great principle of the Order of St John embodied in its motto “For the Faith and in the Service of Humanity”.
- To render aid to the sick and wounded in war and to promote such permanent organizations in time of peace as may be at once available immediately in time of emergency.
- To receive and accept donations, endowments, gifts of money, land, hereditaments, houses, buildings, stocks, shares, securities and other properties, movable or immovable, real or personal of whatsoever or wheresoever and to ensure proper accounting and auditing of all such items and to maintain appropriate Inventories and Property Books.
- To maintain fraternal association with the Grand Priory and its Foundations, and with St John Organisations and their Governing Bodies elsewhere.
- To approve the local Regulations of the Association and Brigade, and their amendments, prepared by the Association and Brigade Committees, respectively.