Dates of upcoming First Aid courses are available here.
The First Aid course is our most comprehensive skills training. This 3-day (19 hour) course turns novices into first aiders who are confident in their ability to manage any critical situation, delegate tasks to bystanders, and engage and inform the emergency services. The course covers first aid protocols for adults, children and babies. It also includes a demonstration of the AED (automated external defibrillator).
The First Aid course is aimed at:
- persons who want to develop the skills required to confidently manage emergency situations and provide a first aid response to a casualty.
- companies/organisations requiring fully qualified workplace first aiders. This the standard training is recommended for workplace first aid providers.
The course covers these topics:
- The role of the first aider
- Communication and casualty care
- Allergic reaction
- Basic defibrillator demonstration
- Bone, muscle and joint injuries
- Burns and scalds
- Chest pains
- Eye injuries
- Head injuries
- Low blood sugar
- Resuscitation (CPR)
- Spinal injuries
- Treatment of an unresponsive casualty
- There are no formal entry requirements for this course.
- The minimum age to attend this course must be 14 years. Children below the age of 14 years are invited to follow the Three Cross Award.
This training is delivered by qualified and experienced trainers.
This course may be delivered over 3 days (6.5 hours per day) or 4 sessions (approx. 5hrs per session) or 9 sessions (2 hours per session).
The First Aid course is assessed through a written multiple choice test and a practical test.
- Successful candidates will receive an internationally recognised St John Ambulance certificate which is valid for three years.
- The St John Ambulance First Aid certificate fulfils the requirements of the local Occupational Health & Safety Regulations.
- Individual fee: €40 per person.
- The course can also be delivered at the premises of the company/organisation at a date and time that suits the business needs of the company/organisation. For such group training, the minimum fee is €420 for up to 12 participants. Additional participants can be added at a fee of €35 per person.
*Proceeds from our training courses support services provided by St John Malta for the community.
- Individuals are kindly requested to print this application [PDF], fill it out and send this by post (not registered post).
- Companies/organisations are kindly requested to contact us via email to organise group training.
- It is highly recommended that the general public and employees follow this comprehensive First Aid course. However, those persons who do not have the time to follow the full First Aid course are advised to follow the Emergency First Aid course. Companies/organisations who already have the required number of fully trained First Aid personnel may wish to organise the Emergency First Aid course for other personnel.
- A chart comparing the content of the First Aid course and the Emergency First Aid course is available here [PDF].