The Basic Life Support and Artificial External Defibrillator (AED) course teaches essential life-saving skills and the use of the AED. This course is designed for any group that has, or may have, access to an AED. It will ensure that participants have the confidence to use defibrillators to save lives.
Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) is a life-saving technique that is used when someone’s heart has stopped. Some medical conditions, such as a severe heart attack, can cause the heart to stop. Other causes include drowning, electric shock, poisoning, overdose and serious injury. For CPR to be successful, it needs to be started as soon as possible after a person’s heart stops.
The use of an AED – also known as defibrillation – is an important addition to CPR. Evidence shows that using an AED can greatly improve the survival chances of a patient in cardiac arrest. However, an AED is only useful if there’s a trained person available to use it.
By the end of this training the participants will be:
- able to recognise life-threatening situations
- able to offer vital assistance before more experienced help arrives
- able to provide single-person CPR on an adult, child and baby
- able to use the AED.
- Casualty management
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation
- Explanation of heart rhythms and defibrillation
- Explaining how an AED works
- Practice using an AED
- The minimum age to attend this course must be 14 years. Children below the age of 14 years are invited to follow the Three Cross Award.
This training is delivered by qualified and experienced trainers.
An ongoing assessment is done during the course.
- A certificate with a 1-year validity is provided.
- The St John Ambulance Basic Life Support & AED certificate is recognized by The Malta Qualifications Council and by local Occupational Health & Safety Regulations. The certificate has worldwide recognition.
€25 per person or €230 per group of 10 persons. Proceeds from our training courses support services provided by St John Malta for the community.
Print application, fill it out and send it to us by post (not registered post).
Basic Life Support & AED training can be held on-site at companies and organizations.
Download the Basic Life Support & AED syllabus [PDF]. For more information contact us.