We are open and delivering training courses again at locations where we are able to establish the safeguards necessary to protect participants and our instructors. We are adhering strictly to the advice of health authorities.
Read here how we are running training in a COVID-19 secure manner.
The Basic Life Support and Artificial External Defibrillator (AED) course teaches essential life-saving skills and the use of the AED. This course is designed for any group that has, or may have, access to an AED. It will ensure that participants have the confidence to use defibrillators to save lives.
Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) is a life-saving technique that is used when someone’s heart has stopped. Some medical conditions, such as a severe heart attack, can cause the heart to stop. Other causes include drowning, electric shock, poisoning, overdose and serious injury. For CPR to be successful, it needs to be started as soon as possible after a person’s heart stops.
The use of an AED – also known as defibrillation – is an important addition to CPR. Evidence shows that using an AED can greatly improve the survival chances of a patient in cardiac arrest. However, an AED is only useful if there’s a trained person available to use it.
By the end of this training the participants will be:
- able to recognise life-threatening situations
- able to offer vital assistance before more experienced help arrives
- able to provide single-person CPR on an adult, child and baby
- able to use the AED.
- Casualty management
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation
- Explanation of heart rhythms and defibrillation
- Explaining how an AED works
- Practice using an AED
- The minimum age to attend this course must be 14 years. Children below the age of 14 years are invited to follow the Three Cross Award.
This training is delivered by qualified and experienced trainers.
The BLS/AED course is delivered over 4 hours.
An ongoing assessment is done during the course.
- Successful candidates will receive an internationally recognised St John Ambulance certificate which is valid for one year.
- The St John Ambulance Basic Life Support & AED certificate is recognized by the Occupational Health And Safety Authority.
- Individual fee: €25 per person. Refunds will not be issued if applicants fail to attend full or part of the course. St John Training reserves the right to cancel a course if the minimum number of participants is not reached. In such cases, the applicants are given the opportunity to attend the next course or they will be refunded the full course registration fee.
- Group fee: Companies/organisations are kindly requested to contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to regarding discounted fees for group training. On-site training at customer premises is available.
*Proceeds from our training courses support services provided by St John Malta for the community.
- Individuals can register online for the course. Payments can be made by (a) direct bank transfer or (b) cheque addressed to ‘St John Ambulance’ and sent to this address. Cheque payments should not be sent via registered post.
- Companies/organisations are kindly requested to contact us via email (email@example.com) to organise group training.